I can't believe that I'm going to join a ladies' fitness gym. I'm almost 24 years old and probably 15 years younger than the next youngest client. I know this whole message might sound offensive, but I can't really help feeling a little strange. Another sign that I am quickly slipping into the realm of the "hermit-librarian" woman.
After years of running, nay, racing competitively I'm going to squeeze into lycra yoga pants and spend my time staring into a wall-length mirror while other women do the same. Forgive me, but I've never been a fan of gyms. It always seemed fake to lift weights, run on a treadmill, bike on a stationary cycle, and spend time in a step class. Why not go out for a trail run or ride a horse? Perhaps a nice swim? Anything but a yoga class!!
But I stand to betray my very own soul. Instead of the great outdoors, I'm going to spend time in a building with "Night at the Roxbury" music pumping. Anything to get in shape. Hi, I'm Skye Causey and I'm a sell-out. I so badly want to get back to being in the shape I was in college, that I am going to supplement my running schedule with yoga, "spin class", and weight-lifting. Perhaps I will be ready for the Atlanta Half...
I justify all this by a string of thoughts. For instance, runners aren't the most flexible bunch. We only move in one direction, and it's always one foot in front of the other. So, I figure yoga will help increase my range of motion. Very beneficial to runners, no? And weights are supposed to increase muscle mass...which makes me a more effecient machine. The spin class will add to my cardiovascular training. All that equals something good, I hope.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You hate being indoors 'cause it's not condusive to working out naked, something you're rumored to do every now and again. And at least there are no mountain lions at the gym....
Joy must tell all my good stories when I'm not around.
Post a Comment