If I'm not cautious, I could implode. Things are well here in Rome, Georgia....
1. This week, I'm getting to house/dog sit for a friend. That sounds pretty common, but it's the most uncommon setting. The place is off the most beautiful country road in Floyd County, and it's a pinto horse farm! So, lots of horses, a couple of dogs, Fall colors, beautiful stars at night, and solitude. Also, I can see myself painting all week long. Maybe I'll string up the ol' hammock and build a fire tonight!
2. After waiting and praying, I finally have a place to live that I can afford! I'll be living with Kelly Bearden, a Berry alum like myself. She works for Defax and has a crazy schedule. Much to my delight, Kelly is fine with me bringing Jiminy with me. After all, she has a couple of cats. She also owns some fish and a frog. I can't wait to have friends over for dinner, board games, and coffee. The only thing is her boyfriend: John, an engineer who graduated from Georgia Tech. Life can be so funny sometimes.
3. Pockets of color are undulating with intensity. God is the most creative, talented artist ever. He did a great thing when He instituted Fall. And to that I say, "Do yo' thing, God. Dazzle 'em all!"
4. The Chiaha Festival, this past weekend, was quite fun. I ran into some students with their families, helped man the Unity art department booth, and listened to some down-home picking. It was quite cold and wet on Saturday, but Sunday was golden and warm like bread straight out of the oven. I ran into a friend from a different chapter of my life. She works on an organic farm during the growing season, so I had to tell her about my Christian organic farm dream. She told me that I needed to "wwoof" this summer and help on the farm during the Fall. SCORE!
5. I won a pumpkin carving contest: my version of "Starry Night". $5 card for Starbucks. SCORE, again!
6. My life seems to have collided with some really neat people. And by neat, I mean they are the following (in various measures): wise, transparent, spontaneous, hopeful, creative, joy-filled, God-centered, laughter-inducing, humble, genuine, encouraging, service-oriented, and Truth-seeking. Thank you, Lord. My smile is back... and so is my adipose tissue. Hahaha!
7. Dad has been helping out at church. I'm so excited that he's getting to offer his service. His love language is most certainly "acts of service", and he's such a people-person. I pray with a true desire that he will feel useful again. But more importantly, I hope that he meets true Christ followers and is attracted to the Gospel. I can definitely see God working...
8. The ideas are bursting through the mental dam....
a) a self-sustainable art department: students sell work alongside their teacher's work
b) Home Economics 101 as a class at Unity, next year
c) Great Outdoors 101 as a class at Unity, next year
d) recycled art show in the spring of 2010... tentatively entitled "Redeemed"
e) a gallery opening (all proceeds going to the art department)
f) silk-screen shop, out of the art room (all proceeds going to the art department)
g) printed Christmas cards in the school's lobby (proceeds going to the art dept., of course)
9. This past weekend, I went roller-skating with friends. We wore all the random things we could find. Kids were not only asking why were wearing costumes, but "What is your costume?!" And to that query, I answered, "The everything costume!" It was brilliant. Can't take yourself too seriously, I always say... One of the faster boys with in line skates asked, "Aren't you my art teacher?!" Sure enough, it was Jacob Boozer, one of my 5th graders. Hahaha! I was handing out plastic American flags that said "God Bless America" when we realized that some boy was, in turn, selling them to other kids to make a profit. A hustler at the tender age of 12....
10. I'm starting to learn French, today.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Skye...I love you and I am so glad that we are friends! You keep me young grandpa...you keep young...looking forward to wacked out haunted bowling 2009...because every good activity deserves a name...and of course a year...because who knows if it will become a tradition or not! Here's to crazy new traditions!!
Post a Comment