JULY 2009:
It all started at about 8am; the team got together for the best Moroccan breakfast in town. After a full night's sleep, I was able to emerge from my zombie-like trance to enjoy our fellowship, my honeyed flat bread, and some hot chocolate on the side of the street. Everyone's stomachs full, we left finally went back to the apartment to have a time to focus on our purpose for being here.
Afterward, we departed for the basketball facility to begin a day of serious labor. While most of the team went in a van, I elected to catch a taxi with two people I knew and four I didn't! It was an experience I'll not soon want to forget. We were "tight" if you know what I mean.
Finally our driver dropped us off on a square where we began the haul to the courts. The streets were littered with sundry trash items, and people were curiously watching us from their windows and their curbside chairs. Upon reaching the courts, we were greeted by not one or two people.... but at least a dozen people! I must say, I was flabbergasted when I beheld the magnitude of work that lay ahead, but I was overjoyed in that so many workers had been graciously provided! We were blessed beyond all measure. After an informal introduction of each person on the team while all the helpers listened intently, we handed out Shorter College sunglasses and hats. Grins spread across the room.
Then the real work began... The 71 meter long wall was looming in the background as the scrapers and sandpaper were divvied out amongst men, women, and kids of all ages. They set to work with fervor, and I began to work out plans for the mural. The sun grew high and hot with the hours of effort marching on. Seeing the headmaster of the school, the manager of the basketball facility, the kids from the community, and my team put in so much effort was enough to make me dance with joy over our unity in purpose. Working alongside everyone really made me feel a connection.
We were able to scrape off the old paint, sand rough spots, remove weeds growing out of the concrete, pick up litter, and paint about 70% of the wall. With all the heat and none of the shade we could have wanted, we were blessed with the zeal and energy to do so much more work than anticipated. It could have only come from above.
We broke for lunch and walked a few blocks down the way. After lunch, it was back to work. Still, the volunteers persisted in their efforts! It's my hope that, aside from just trying to be helpful, they are being drawn in by the greatest love... That they are seeing something good and reaching for it.
I was able to sit and do some drawings for the murals, and a group of curious teen girls came to watch. Normally, I don't like to have people "over my shoulder" while I work, but I couldn't help but want them to stay close. I was having trouble sketching a sliding kick (for a soccer drawing), so I had two girls model for me. They loved it! And so did the rest of the laughing throng, Moroccan and American alike.
The day of work came to an end with a game of "knock-out"... Actually, several games of "knock-out". I was about knocked-out with fatigue! Volunteers left and the team headed to a friend's house for dinner. We met a new friend there. She was a beautiful, very well-spoken girl from a local university.
On our van ride home, we reflected on our first whole day here. I, for one, was amazed at how hospitable everyone is here. Southern hospitality ain't got nothing on Moroccan hospitality! Can I get a witness?!
Tonight we took the longer way home, and we saw the streets. They were piled high with offal, and a million people must have been all around us in every direction. To know that there is a purpose for each of their lives amidst all the squalor... it breaks me down. There is hope for them yet. I just plead that they will grab onto that hope and embrace the kind of life it affords. Please, don't let them leave your hearts and thoughts. Please don't forget to think about us. We just want a chance to serve and communicate good stuff. May we receive endurance surpassing that of the Arabian horse and courage more bold than that of the African lion!
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment