JULY 2009:
We arrived at the basketball courts at about 4pm to begin the second day of work on the mural project. Again, we were blessed with helpers for the community! I'm so thankful for that, because there was so much to complete. Today we were able to paint the bottom of the office/sports equipment storage building. The kids were sent to finish the far corner across the courts.... and they found that we'd practically run out of paint! Some water was added and the blue "wash" was used to finish off the corner.
Lots of hands were put to use painting basketball goals, hoops, and backboards. They all look amazing! Lines on the court are scheduled to be completed tomorrow. That about takes care of the equipment and the office/storage area. However, much is yet to be done as far as the mural is concerned. Another team member and I began to lay out the outlines of a couple segments of the mural. There are five segments all together, along with a few logos. Tomorrow will HAVE to be very productive. We need divine blessing and endurance beyond reason. We'll start early tomorrow, and I hope we will finish the mural leaving something beautiful. It is cool to know that so many in the community partnered in creating something that they can take pride in.
A couple of the girls taught me how to say a handful of words in Arabic. They seemed excited to see efforts taken to learn their language; I was happy to oblige. If I can't speak their language, I want them to know that I'm genuinely interested in them and learning from them.
We broke for dinner, and a couple of girls came with us to dine. Some of us got to help them make American style sandwiches. Then the fun began... About a third of the group can play at least a bit of piano. So, we and our guests were treated to a few songs after dinner came to a close.
Finally it was time to take our guests to their respective homes. As we were driving them home, we passed a group of white linen clad Muslim men talking in the street next to a popular mosque in town. We also passed a traditional Berber wedding. Apparently those, with their music and dancing, go from 8pm until 7am of the next day. There are about 7 costume changes and lots of great food.
I digressed!
Well, we dropped our friends off, and I was dropped off myself (with a couple of other girls) at our place. Man! We are tired. Please don't forget us as we put in hours of work for what is unseen. May the effects of spending time with our Moroccan friends last longer than the mural itself. We hope for fruit and lots of it!
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment